Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Poppy's Chili




I could go on and on about my dad.  One day I will tell you all about him.  I'm not sure why I never called him dad or daddy, he's just always been Poppy.   My dad is a tried and true good old Texas cowboy.  And like every born and bred Texan, he has his own chili recipe.  This is simple but oh so good.   And please, if you decide to add beans, don't tell my dad.  Beans just don't belong in real Texas chili.


POPPY'S TEXAS CHILI

1 lb. lean hamburger meat
1 lb. lean ground pork
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 large can tomato sauce
1 can tomato paste
1 1/2 cups water
3 Tbsp. kosher salt
1 teas. red pepper, or to taste
2 teas. paprika
1 teas. oregano
3 teas. cumin
1/3 cup chili powder
1/2 teas. garlic salt
3 Tbsp. mesa flour

Brown meat with onion and pepper in large dutch oven.  When done, drain and return to dutch oven.  Add remaining ingredients except mesa flour.  Simmer on very low heat for a couple of hours.  Remove 1 cup of liquid into bowl.  Add mesa flour to liquid to make paste.  Return paste to chili and stir until dissolved and mixed into chili.
Serve with crackers and shredded cheese. 
*This chili is about twice as good on the second day.  I always make my chili one day and put it up and eat it the next day. 

2 comments:

Becki@Just The Three of Us said...

Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try this! I'm so happy there aren't beans....I don't like beans!

Dina said...

Yay for no beans! And I have never heard of mesa flour? I will have to try that next time I make chili! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!