Sunday, September 16, 2012

Fried Pickles



Since it's almost time for the Texas State Fair and our state fair is famous for it's yearly fried food competitions, I am sharing my method for making a popular snack, Fried Pickles.  These are a popular Sunday afternoon snack around here. 

As usual ....I don't profess to have any revolutionary recipes.  I am sure everyone has some of the same ideas and recipes. I just put them here so that I know where to find them when I am looking for them again.

Fried Pickles

1 jar dill pickle slices or chips
3 eggs
3 teas. water
3-4 drops hot sauce
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 teas. salt
1 teas. ground pepper
2 teas. paprika
1/2 teas. cayenne pepper
3 cups canola oil












Drain pickles.












In first bowl beat eggs, water and hot sauce.











In second bowl mix all dry ingredients.

Heat oil in shallow skillet.

Dredge pickles in egg wash then in dry mix.  Fry until golden brown.  I drain mine on a paper towel lined wire rack so they stay crispy. 

Serve with ranch dressing.  I like to make the Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing from mix and add some cayenne pepper and paprika. 

 A note:  I've tried these with dill spears instead of the smaller slices or chips and they aren't as good in our opinion.  Not enough batter to pickle ratio. 

2 comments:

Saska said...

we LOVE fried pickles, but haven't found a recipe yet for making them at home that I like...I'll try these!

Katie B said...

Looks yummy!

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!