Friday, January 20, 2012

Croutons


I love when I have leftover artisan or homemade bread so I can make croutons!  I often buy rosemary bread or some kind of herb bread at the grocery store and we usually end up not eating it all while it's fresh.  So I take my leftover loaf and cut it into 3/4" cubes.  Toss with a scant amount of olive oil (just enough to coat, not to saturate them) and scatter on a baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees until they toast up into little crispy croutons.   They keep a couple of days in a ziploc bag. 
If the bread doesn't already have some kind of seasoning in it, such as when I buy sourdough loaves, I will add a little rosemary, caraway seed or any other savory spice as I toss them in oil.  
These are great on salads and especially good in soup.  I sometimes go another step and grind them up to make great tasting bread crumbs for a topping on a casserole.
Of course, the bowl you see above, that's the ones I am eating fresh out of the oven all by themselves while I'm typing.  So I guess they are good just as a snack too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a message!